NQTs: Support and induction
Once a newly qualified teacher (NQT) has been appointed, the
Headteacher must register them with an 'appropriate body' before
they start work. The appropriate body will then notify the
National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL).
As part of the registration process schools who opt for West
Sussex County Council to act as the appropriate body must
- the name of every NQT they are inducting;
- a Department for Education reference number;
- each NQT's date of birth; and
- a record of the stage that each NQT has reached.
Supporting document: registration
Please send the completed form to the address below.
Once registered a newly qualified teacher will undergo a period
of induction. You can find statutory guidance about this on
Supporting documents: for NQTs
Supporting documents: for NQT mentors and induction
- Assessment reports should clearly indicate whether or not the
satisfactory progress towards meeting the Teachers' Standards.
- NQTs should be encouraged to add their own comments on the
summary of progress presented in the form.
- The form must be signed by the Headteacher, the mentor and the
- A copy of the completed form should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
within 10 working days of each termly assessment
- The original form should be given to the NQT and a copy kept in
- It is a statutory requirement that copies of all assessments
and supporting evidence should be retained by the school for 6
Supporting documents: assessment forms
If you have any questions about induction, or wish to
return a completed form, please contact the NQT induction
coordinator, Carol Vigor, Associate Adviser for Recruitment and