Ten top tips to help you shop smart, save money and waste less
Shop smart, save money and waste less with our top ten tips!
2 August 2021
In the midst of a busy lifestyle, here are 10 top tips to help you shop smart, save money and waste less.
- Plan your meals at the start of each week.
- Make a list of ingredients, having first checked what you already have at home and how much extra you will need.
- Try not to go shopping when hungry and on the run – it is difficult to make good decisions in those circumstances, particularly if children are with you!
- Try and shop just once a week as this helps to avoid buying extra and seeing other tempting offers.
- Buy loose, where possible, as this is often cheaper and fresher, will save on single-use plastics and will also encourage you to buy only what you need.
- Don't assume that branded is best; try non-branded varieties which are frequently just as tasty, likely to save you money and may also allow you to buy different quantities that better suit your particular needs.
- Avoid BOGOFs (Buy One Get One Free) until you have checked that it is really a bargain and something that you will use within 'best before' or 'use by' dates.
- Learn how to cook and bake new recipes using leftovers – try these two websites for inspiration as a start:
- Enjoy leftovers for your lunch the next day – they often make a welcome and tasty change to sandwiches.
- Clean up your fridge and cupboards at least once a month. Use up leftovers before buying more food, review 'use by' and 'best before' dates and organise your storage so that items due to go out of date first are closest to hand.