Find out about recycling in West Sussex


Find out about recycling items beginning with the letter S. Includes saucepans, scrap metal, soil and solvents.

Last updated:
4 September 2020
Share this

1 Saucepans

Metal items such as saucepans can be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS) for recycling.

Items such as bicycles, metal furniture, saucepans and baking trays, garden tools, CD racks and so on, can be placed in designated containers at the HWRS to be recycled into new metal goods.

Please do not place these bulky metal items in your recycling bin at home as they will cause damage to the sorting equipment at Ford Materials Recycling Facility (MRF).

2 Scrap metal

See Metals

3 Shoes

Old and unwanted clothes and shoes can be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS) and placed in textile banks for reuse and recycling.

Please ensure clothes and shoes are clean, dry and bagged before placing them in the textile banks.

Clothes and shoes that still have some life left in them will be sorted and sent for reuse. Old and well-worn clothing will be recycled by shredding and used in the ‘flocking’ industry as car seat filler.

Charity shops will accept clothes and shoes in good condition for resale.

4 Shredded paper

Shredded paper is paper that has been cut with scissors or shredded as part of a mechanical process into small strips or pieces.

Please do not put shredded paper in your recycling bin. Your recycling is sorted by a specialised sorting plant that receives, separates and prepares recyclables for marketing to manufacturers to be recycled into new goods. Shredded paper cannot be accepted within your recycling bin at home, due to it mixing with other materials such as glass and ruining the quality of the glass to be sold to the market. The sorting plant is a mainly automated process with some hand sorting and with a mechanical process such as this; shredded paper has a tendency to erupt like a mushroom cloud within the plant.

This is not to say shredded paper cannot be recycled, as it can be accepted for recycling in the paper and cardboard container at your local Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS). Alternatively you can use shredded paper for pet or animal bedding or you can compost it at home.

Shredded paper cannot go in the recycling bin.

6 Solvents

Small quantities of solvents from households (less than 25 litres) can be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS) for safe disposal.

Please hand these to staff at the site and these solvents will be securely stored before being treated.

For more information on how to dispose of your solvents safely, please contact us on 01243 642106.

7 Spectacles

See Glasses

8 Stamps

Many charities benefit from the donation of stamps. Contact your favourite charity to see if they can benefit from re-using them.

Envelopes with stamps on can still be recycled by placing them in your recycling bin at home or by putting them in the mixed paper and cardboard container at your local Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS).

9 Storage heaters

All storage heaters are treated as hazardous waste due to the possible presence of asbestos type material in the device. If you have a requirement to dispose of a storage heater, please ensure it is bagged in 1000 gauge polythene and taped tightly shut before you attend one of the following household waste recycling sites:

Please make site staff aware at point of entry that you have a storage heater for disposal.

Due to the potential hazard of the material, employees are not required to assist members of the public depositing storage heaters.

10 Sweet tins

Metal sweet tins can be placed in your recycling bin at home.

Plastic tubs or plastic packaging from sweets can also be recycled at home.

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.