COVID-19 update: Do not visit a HWRS if you are self-isolating or have COVID-19 symptoms. Social distancing measures remain in place at all sites.
New booking system
In response to severe queues experienced at some sites since opening with social distancing in place, from Monday 29 March, we will be trialling a booking system for attending HWRS. This is a measure that a number of other councils have successfully introduced.
The appointment system will:
- ensure demand is spread evenly throughout the week
- relieve congestion on local roads
- relieve impact on businesses and residents near our sites
- reduce queuing time for customers
- ensure that social distancing guidelines can be adhered to.
From Monday 29 March 2021, you will need to have an appointment to visit the following sites:
Before you book an appointment, check that the HWRS accepts the waste you want to dispose of by viewing the pages linked above.
Planning your visit
When planning your visit make sure you have:
You may only make a single trip to one site in a week (Monday-Sunday). You cannot visit multiple sites in the same week.
- Appointments will be available at least 14 days in advance.
- Same day appointments are not available - they must be booked at least 24 hours before your visit.
- There are a limited number of appointments per day, booked on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.
- Demand for appointments is likely to be high as the trial begins. Please cancel unrequired appointments to free up space for other visitors.
Booking an appointment
To book an appointment online, find the HWRS you wish to visit and complete the required information. Be aware that:
- you need to provide the registration number of the vehicle you will be attending the site in - if you are hiring a vehicle and this is unknown, you will be asked to show the hire paperwork at the site
- you cannot change the registration number, so ensure this is entered correctly - if you need to change this, you will have to cancel and rebook the appointment
- you need to provide your email address so we can send you confirmation of your booking.
Cancel or reschedule a booking
You can use the link at the bottom of your confirmation email to cancel the booking or change it to another date or time.
If you have a query about booking, you can call us Monday-Friday, 9.00am-5.30pm, on 01243 642106. All available appointments are shown on the booking system. Please also be aware that, in accordance with the booking conditions, our advisors are unable to book same day or multiple appointments in a single week, or edit registration numbers on your booking.
What to do when you arrive
- Please be patient if there is a queue.
- Follow instructions from site staff to ensure safe use of the site.
- If you do need to make a journey to a Household Waste Recycling Site, please limit the number of people in the vehicle as much as possible. In order to maintain appropriate social distancing, only one person will be allowed out of the vehicle unless strictly necessary, and staff will not be able to help move items except in certain circumstances, for example in cases of restricted mobility.
- Always keep to social distancing measures in line with Government advice.
Entry to HWRS
You do not need to be at the site at the exact start time of your appointment - you can arrive at any time within your allotted slot. Appointments are 15 minutes long in the case of Bognor Regis and Shoreham-By-Sea sites, or 30 minutes at the other trial sites. See your confirmation email for more information.
There may be circumstances where refusal of entry to a site will occur. Staff will turn you away if you:
- do not have a booking - staff check your vehicle registration number to verify that you have an appointment
- do not have proof of address or a required permit or paperwork with you when you attend
- are too early for your appointment - staff may ask you to re-join the queue or return at your appointment time
- are late for your appointment.