Our last Ofsted inspection took place in February 2019. The report states a significant number of improvements which need to take place across Children’s Services in West Sussex.View the 2019 Ofsted report (external link)
We are currently a year into our improvement journey. We have been supported by John Coughlan, our Department for Education appointed Commissioner, and Hampshire County Council as our partner in practice.
A significant number of improvements have been made over the past year, which include:
- the development and implementation of our Children First Practice Improvement Plan, produced collaboratively with staff - this sets out clear actions and targets where we need to make clear and demonstrable progress (the initial plan focused on the 12 recommendations from Ofsted and, following a refreshed plan in March 2020, this now covers the wider remit of improvement)
- the appointment of Lucy Butler as our permanent Executive Director of Children, Young People and Learning
- a new Quality Assurance framework
- reducing our staffing vacancy gap and lowering caseloads where it has been appropriate to do so
- recognition at our first Ofsted monitoring visit of the contribution staff are making and areas of positive practice, particularly in relation to the voice of the child.