Apprenticeship training funding
The apprenticeship levy is giving us the opportunity to invest in high quality training, helping to recruit apprentices and develop existing employees for our future economy.
As a large levy-paying employer, the council can transfer up to 25% of its apprenticeship levy funding to other employers for their apprenticeship training, helping to further boost the number of high quality apprenticeships in West Sussex.
Who can receive transferred funds?
We can transfer funds to employers for new apprentices, for apprenticeships which will develop existing employees or in the situation where a new employee is part way through their apprenticeship training. We are not able to transfer funds for apprenticeships that have already started in a business.
Employers eligible for funding should be West Sussex based.
Priorities for funding
Applications from the following organisations will be prioritised (please refer to the related information at the bottom of the page):
- schools in West Sussex
- small and medium sized businesses in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields, including in the ‘Creative Digital’ sector
- key sector priority organisations such as hospitality/tourism and manufacturing
- small and medium sized enterprises
- health and social care organisation
- community and voluntary organisations.
Considerations for applying for levy transfer funding
To apply, you’ll need to confirm:
- your apprentice(s) place of work is in West Sussex (county area)
- your apprentice(s) will be employed for at least the duration of their apprenticeship
- you have selected an appropriate apprenticeship standard Institute for apprenticeships website
- you have identified your preferred apprenticeship training provider who is listed on the Government’s Register of approved training providers
- you have set up a digital apprenticeship account
- you have a planned start date and duration of the apprenticeship training.
As a transfer receiving employer you are responsible for:
- meeting the requirements in the apprenticeship funding rules on GOV.UK
- accepting the invite from West Sussex County Council (WSCC) to connect our digital accounts
- adding your apprentice/s using transfer funds to your digital account and submitting these within three months of your application being accepted by us
- keeping us informed when a learner ceases their apprenticeship training or takes a break.
The opportunity to apply for funding is open continuously, depending on funds remaining available. We will contact you within 15 working days of the form submission to inform you whether your application was successful.
ApplyApply for apprenticeship training transfer funding (external link)
Please note: You need to create a WSCC log-in prior to completing the application form.
Once your log-in is created, please ensure you log out and log back in, as this will load the application form automatically.
All applications will be viewed on a first come first served basis.
You can apply for funding for up to three apprenticeships.
If you are unable to find an answer to your question in our FAQs within the application form, please email: email@example.com.