The Fire Safety Order (FSO) applies to virtually all premises and covers nearly every type of building, structure and open space. For example:
- offices and shops
- factories and warehouses
- sleeping accommodation
- residential care premises
- educational premises
- small and medium places of assembly (holding 300 people or fewer)
- large places of assembly (holding more than 300 people)
- theatres, cinemas and similar premises
- open air events and venues
- healthcare premises
- animal premises and stables
- transport premises and facilities
It does not apply to people’s private homes, including individual flats in a block or house.
If you want to carry out any alterations to your premises, you may need to obtain planning permission and building regulation approval first.
In this case, we encourage you to consult your local licensing authority and building control body: