Financial support

Discover a range of financial support measures.

Financial support for businesses

The Government has introduced a range of schemes to support businesses who may be financially affected throughout the pandemic.

  • Coronavirus support is available to businesses through loans, tax relief and cash grants.
  • Employers might be eligible for financial support to pay wages.
  • Self-employed people might be eligible for a taxable grant covering 80 per cent of trading profits.

Further information is available on GOV.UK under their business support section.

If you’re a business, see our Business West Sussex site for some of the grants that you may be able to access via Business West Sussex Grants and Funding and Business advice and support.

Some businesses and venues will also be able to receive Government ‘Restart Grants’ to help reopen. The grant scheme supports businesses in the non-essential retail, hospitality, leisure, personal care and accommodation sectors with a one-off grant to reopen safely as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.

Financial support for individuals

The following organisations and websites can offer further advice or services that offer financial support.

  • Employment - Find information if you're self-employed, unable to work, unemployed or about the furlough scheme on GOV.UK's Worker support.
  • Childcare - Look at all your childcare options, including help with paying for childcare. Information is available on Childcare options.
  • For support seven days a week, 8.00am-8.00pm, contact our Community Hub.

Residents who require help as a result of COVID-19 can access the support by calling 033 022 27980 or by completing the online form.

You may get help if you:

  • have been affected financially by COVID-19 and are suffering hardship
  • are unable to access food and essential supplies
  • are on a low income and asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, such as a £500 Test and Trace support payment.

Debt advice

If you are worried about not being able to pay your bills there are things you can do. If you’re struggling to pay your rent, mortgage or energy bills because of coronavirus, it’s important you don’t ignore them.

Speak to the organisation you owe money to; they might be able to help by letting you pay smaller amounts or take a break. Check with your bank or building society to see what help they can offer. You may also be eligible to claim for benefits.

If you’re worried about heating your home contact Citizens Advice. They may also be able to advise you about financial support.

You can also contact Citizen’s Advice services if you:

  • are having difficulties claiming the benefits you’re entitled to
  • are having difficulties understanding what you’re eligible for
  • have debts that you’re not managing and it’s affecting your mental health.
Last updated:
25 August 2021
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.