Questions around community support for the vulnerable

Information relating to food, shopping and medication collection.

Other types of frequently asked questions are available via the links on the right.

Is the government supplying regular food parcels as they have done previously?

Central government will not be re-introducing nationally provided food parcels as it has moved to a locally-led support model.

This recognises that local councils are best placed to assess and meet the food access needs of clinically extremely vulnerable individuals. This allows them to focus on providing support in a way that encourages independence and choice.

Am I still on my supermarket's priority online shopping list?

Priority access to supermarket delivery slots using the Shielding Support website ended on 21 June 2021. You can continue to book delivery slots in the usual manner from a supermarket.

Who can help me get my shopping?

Shop online if you can, or ask others to collect and deliver shopping for you (friends, family, or a volunteer, including NHS Volunteer Responders).

If you cannot access food, the council can offer support. This may include helping you to request a priority supermarket delivery slot if you do not already have one, help with shopping or connecting you with support in your area. Contact our Community Hub on 033 022 27980.

Who can help me collect a prescription?

The free medicine delivery service ended on 31 March 2021.

Ask a friend, family member, or carer to collect your medicines for you, or visit pharmacies at quieter times. If none of these options are available to you, NHS Volunteer Responders will continue providing support with food, prescriptions and essential items, as well as their Check In and Chat/Check In and Chat Plus services, to those who need it.

Can I still access help after 19 July if I need to?

From 19 July 2021, clinically extremely vulnerable people will be subject to the lifting of restrictions, alongside the rest of the population. They are advised to take extra precautions, for example, to shop at quieter times in order to keep themselves safe. However, if you are unable to access support from friends, family, or other support networks, you can contact the Community Hub for help on 0330 222 7980.

Last updated:
2 August 2021
Share this