Information about the virus

Business and employers

Where to find business support and advice.

Our Business West Sussex website provides COVID-19 related:

  • business support and advice
  • information about grants and funding
  • workplace guidance.
COVID-19 business advice (Business West Sussex) (external link)


We have introduced measures to offer financial support for suppliers during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.


If you are a provider who is struggling to get supplies of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), see Emergency PPE request.

Advice for food businesses

If you are operating a food business, please see our range of relevant government information and guidance:

Advice for restaurants, cafes, pubs, bars and takeaways

If you are operating a restaurant, cafe, pub, bar or takeaways, please make sure you are following the government information and guidance.

It may be necessary to adjust your service to minimise staff contact with customers. Indoor table service must be used where possible, alongside further measures, such as assigning a single staff member per table. Outdoor table service should also be encouraged.

Staff and customers should be given access to use hand sanitiser or hand washing facilities as they enter the premises. Suitable handwashing facilities, including running water and liquid soap and suitable options for drying (either paper towels or hand driers) should also be available.

It is also critically important that you keep a temporary record of contact details for customers and visitors to your establishment for 21 days. A template is available to support you and can be accessed in our Test and Trace section below.

Useful workplace action cards have also been introduced by Public Health England, which give advice on what to do in the event of an outbreak.

Government advice

The Government is providing up-to-date guidance for employees, employers and businesses through Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business support.

It has also launched a package of measures to support businesses and the self-employed through the impact of COVID-19. For example, you can check if you can claim a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.

GOV.UK also has the latest guidance on the delivery of care for supported living and home care.

Social care, community care or residential settings should also follow Public Health England's hygiene and prevention advice.

Test and Trace - keeping contact details of staff, customers and visitors

The government website offers guidance on maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace. You can use our templates either digitally, or to download and print. This will ensure you keep accurate contact detail records as these will support contact tracing if it becomes necessary.

Last updated:
31 July 2020
Share this