Are you a young person? Then this site is for you!
Last updated:
24 October 2017

Leaving care: Education and employment

Advice if you choose to start work or continue your education.

Your personal advisor can help you decide what you want to do when you leave care, whether that is to find a job or continue with your education. This will be set out in your pathway plan.  

Finding a job

Your personal adviser can give you support and advice in finding a job, or you can visit a FindItOut centre. They will help with things like filling out application forms and CVs, and preparing for interviews. 

There is also online career advice in the virtual job centre on The Who Cares Trust website, including information on finding and keeping a job. 

Continuing in education

If you decide to continue in education there are lots of options - you might decide to do A Levels, an NVQ or begin an apprenticeship. 

If you would like to go to university we will continue to support you by making sure you have financial support and suitable accommodation during holidays. Our support would normally end when you are 21 but if you started your course before this we can support you until you are 24. 

Visit the UCAS website to find information on the support which is available to care leavers. The Propel website has information on the courses available, where you can study and how to get support with applying, funding and accommodation. 

If you are in care and are thinking about going to college or university you can also contact Jane Hathaway who works for West Sussex Social Services for advice.

Other sites that might be useful


Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating to indicate how useful you found this page. If you have more specific feedback use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.