Last updated:
15 November 2017

Share this

Childcare for children with a disability or additional needs

Find out who to contact for advice and support about childcare for disabled children.

There is a wide range of support for children with a disability or additional needs, including respite care and short breaks.

If you are looking for childcare for a child with a disability or additional needs there is extra help available, which may involve:

  • organising additional support to attend visits with you when looking at different childcare options
  • making sure that your chosen childcare provider can meet your child’s specific needs and give you peace of mind that your child will be looked after by people with the right training and equipment
  • putting additional resource in place if necessary, so that all children at a nursery, pre-school, childminder or out of school club can play and learn together.

The Family Information Service works in partnership with a wide range of agencies. By working together we are able to offer the extra help you may need.

The Disability Access Fund (DAF) aids access to early years places by, for example, supporting childcare providers in making reasonable adjustments to their settings. Providers can apply for, and receive, the funding, if your child is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Free Entitlement funding for 3 and 4 year olds.

Working families who have a child with a disability can receive help with childcare costs through the Tax Free Childcare scheme, until they reach 17 years of age.

Every local authority has a duty to make sure there is sufficient childcare to meet parental needs - and that includes parents of children with disabilities and additional needs.

Additional information


Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating to indicate how useful you found this page. If you have more specific feedback use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.