You will have a dedicated assessing social worker to support you throughout the process, which is outlined below.
- You make an enquiry to the Fostering team.
- We will have an initial conversation with you.
- We will organise an initial visit to you at home.
- A decision will be made whether to undertake checks. For example, CRB, medical checks.
- Checks will begin.
- You will attend a three-day Skills to Foster course while checks are being carried out.
- The assessment process will begin (this involves a number of home visits allowing us to get to know you and your family).
- You will attend Foster Panel, alongside your assessing social worker.
- The panel’s decision will be ratified by our agency decision maker.
- Your fostering can begin!
The process can typically take around six months to complete. This can be slightly quicker if you are transferring from another fostering agency.
It can be a good idea to come along to one of our information sessions before you apply to foster so you can ask any questions you may have. You will also have the chance to speak to a local foster carer.
Get in touch
If you have any questions or have decided that you wish to foster, we’d love to hear from you.
- complete our quick online enquiry form
- phone 033 022 27775 (during office hours).