You will have a dedicated assessing social worker to support you throughout the process, which is outlined below.
- You make an enquiry to the Fostering team.
- We have an initial conversation with you.
- We organise an initial visit to you at home.
- A decision is made whether to undertake checks, such as CRB or medical checks.
- Checks will begin.
- You attend a three-day Skills to Foster course while checks are being carried out.
- The assessment process begins, involving a number of home visits, allowing us to get to know you and your family.
- You attend a Foster Panel, alongside your assessing social worker.
- The Panel’s decision is ratified by our agency decision maker.
- Your fostering can begin!
The process typically takes around six months to complete. This can be slightly quicker if you are transferring from another fostering agency.
It can be a good idea to come along to one of our information sessions before you apply to foster so you can ask any questions you may have. You will also have the chance to speak to a local foster carer.
Get in touch
If you have any questions, or have decided that you wish to foster, we’d love to hear from you.
- complete our quick online enquiry form
- phone 033 022 27775 (during office hours).