Choosing Care is a campaign that aims to help people know what to look for when choosing care in a care home or care in their own home. Use the checklists below to help guide you through the important areas to consider.
We are also supporting the Care Quality Commission’s (CQC) campaign #careaware (www.cqc.org.uk/careaware)
Take a look at their advice on checking care organisation’s current CQC rating and reports. They spoke to people about their own experiences and these are captured in three videos which include tips to help you.
Areas to look for when choosing care include:
• Check the current CQC rating and reports
• Confirm a registered manager is in place
• Make sure a care plan can be changed to adapt to your needs and preferences
• Be aware of how to raise a concern or make a complaint
• Understand costs
• Assess whether current residents are involved and content
• Consider whether staff appear caring and attentive
There are two short and two longer checklists available to download in PDF format in the 'Downloads' section below. Use these to help you when considering or choosing care.
Everyone is encouraged to plan ahead as much as they are able so that they can make well informed decisions.
Find out more at www.westsussex.gov.uk/careguide or visit www.westsussexconnecttosupport.org
CQC ratings can be found at http://www.cqc.org.uk/
Join in the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #CareAware