Apply for or renew your fireworks and explosives licence

Apply for or renew your licence to store fireworks or explosives.

Apply for or renew your fireworks and explosives licence



This form will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Please allow yourself enough time to complete this form in one session as there is not an option to save and come back to it later.

If you are intending to supply fireworks outside the normal permitted period’s (New Year, Chinese New Year, 15 October to 10 November and Diwali) you will also need to make a separate application for a licence to comply with the Fireworks Regulations 2004.

This form should not be used for an application for a licence to store the explosives listed below:

- Relevant explosives.
- Ammunition, the acquisition of which is regulated or prohibited by virtue of the Firearms Acts 1968 to 1997.
- Smokeless powder or percussion caps.
- Explosives stored by a person who is registered as a firearms dealer under Section 33 of the Firearms Act 1968.

If you want to store the explosives listed above, you should use form ER2.

You should only use this form if you want to store less than 2,000kg (Net Mass) of explosives. If you want to store more than 2,000kg of explosives you should apply to the Health and Safety Executive for a licence.

Please note that it is an offence under Section 33 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 to provide false information. Incomplete or inaccurate information could result in a delay in the processing of your application.

The information may, where appropriate, be shared with other relevant bodies such as other local licensing authorities, local Fire & Rescue Services, local Police or the Health and Safety Executive.

Licences for fireworks and other explosives that do not require an explosive certificate may be granted for up to five years as the licensing authority determines (subject to the appropriate application fee).

The licence fee must be paid before your application can be processed. We will email you with payment details.

Most employers are required by law to insure against liability for injury or disease to their employees arising out of their employment. The Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 ensures that you have at least a minimum level of insurance cover against any such claims.

Public liability insurance is not required by health and safety law. However, if you are manufacturing or storing explosives (including fireworks) you may wish to take out public liability insurance. Many industry trade associations and professional bodies require this as a condition of membership. Professional display operators using category F4 fireworks, T2 theatrical pyrotechnics or P2 pyrotechnic articles are required by product safety law to have public liability insurance in place covering their use.

You have the right to request a copy of any personal information and to have any inaccuracies corrected.

Please contact your us if you have any questions about completing this form or about your application.

Your data privacy

Before completing this form please read our general Privacy Policy (opens in a new window).

This explains why we ask for your data, what we do with it and how long we will keep it. It also explains how you can find out what data we hold about you and how you can ask us to delete it.

Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.