The training programme provides high quality, quality assured, professional training and development to the childcare and Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) workforce, underpinned by the principles of the EYFS, Playwork Principles and the priorities identified by Ofsted through inspections.
The courses are aimed at childminders, playworkers, staff working in:
- Children and Family Centres
- maintained nursery schools
- before and after school clubs and holiday playschemes
- staff working in schools delivering the EYFS.
To access courses, providers will need to join the Training Subscription Scheme.
Staff working directly with children in your setting can access the courses and there are no limits to the number of courses they can attend each year. The rate you pay is based on the number of staff working in your setting.
Our termly training programme provides full information on the courses we are running, which settings and staff they are suitable for, when and where they are taking place and how to book.
Courses are run at venues with good transport links in Crawley, Horsham, Worthing and Chichester. A small number may also be run in smaller towns and villages but attendees will need to travel in order to access the programme.
Childcare qualifications are not part of our training subscription scheme. Read our Childcare qualifications and funding information page.
Childminders should read our Childminder information pack for guidance on childminder qualifications.
2 Termly training programme
This document provides:
- full overview of the courses we offer
- dates, times and venues
- information on how to book and cancel places.
3 Training subscription rates
Providers pay a rate based on the total number of all staff working directly with children in their setting. Committee members are exempt from the rate.
Rates payable for 2017-2018 are set out below.
|Number of staff||Rate|
|1 to 2||£52|
|3 to 6||£155|
|7 to 10||£360|
|11 to 15||£566|
|16 to 20||£823|
|Out of School Clubs maximum fixed rate||£196*|
|Schools fixed rate||£139**|
*Out of school provision has a fixed lower rate. This reflects that practitioners are often part-time, working across several types of provision and may not access many courses from the programme. Instead of the fixed rate, an out of school club is able to purchase an alternative lower rate based on the actual number of staff working directly with children.
**Schools fixed rate reflects that not all staff working in a school will access the programme. There is a maximum limit of three staff working in the EYFS for this rate.
Examples of training subscription rates where a provider operates more than one type of setting:
- A day nursery and an out of school club on different premises – two training subscription numbers are needed, one for each setting.
- One provider running a day nursery, out of school club, breakfast club and holiday playscheme, from the same premises – only one subscription is needed (this is based on the assumption that the same staff will be working across all these settings).
- A school with an out of school club and breakfast club – two training subscriptions numbers are needed (this is based on the assumption that they are run by different staff).
These examples will not cover every situation and a simple calculation of £50.40 multiplied by the number of staff working across your organisation may be more appropriate. If you would like to discuss the band and rate for your setting(s) you can contact us.
You will need to make your own calculation based on all staff members who work directly with children. Staff can be updated using the Online Provider Portal (OPP).
In the autumn term we audit the amounts that providers have paid for their training subscription against the OPP record and course attendance.
Any adjustments based on your updated staff numbers will be requested. Staff who are not linked to your settings will not be able to book a place on a course.
4 How to pay
Payments are made via our online payment system using a debit or credit card. Select ‘ECS Training Subscription Scheme’ when paying.
You will need the following information ready:
- payment card details
- setting name
- Ofsted URN (if Ofsted registered)
- email address
- the amount payable (based on the number of staff in your setting).
We aim to process your application within 10 working days, confirming receipt of payment and issuing your unique training subscription number valid for the year April-March.
You will be asked to quote your training subscription number when booking training. We will not be able to take course bookings without this. If you have not heard from us within 10 working days, contact us.
If you are unable to pay online email firstname.lastname@example.org, who will forward you a version of the application form and instructions on paying by BACS.
The subscription will be valid 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018, regardless of when you apply. We will invite you to apply for another subscription on expiry.
Newly registered providers will be given a reduced rate based on the month they registered with Ofsted. You should subscribe to ensure that owners or committee members and staff have immediate access to training courses.
We will issue the training subscription number to your setting’s main contact. You will need to think about who needs to have access to it and keep this number safe. Anyone who is given access to it will be able to use it to book onto a course.
5 Network meetings and other training
- Our network meetings provide information, explore issues, offer support and give an opportunity to network with other local early years and childcare practitioners.
- Paediatric First Aid, Risk Assessment, Manual Handling, Health and Safety and Food Hygiene courses are not part of the subscription scheme. Refer to the following document for guidance on selecting appropriate courses:
- West Sussex Learning and Development Gateway offers a range of learning opportunities. It will support your continuing professional development and training needs alongside our subscription courses.
- West Sussex Safeguarding Children’s Board offer courses via the Gateway above - some courses are chargeable. Refer to the following document for guidance on selecting appropriate courses:
- Hampshire's Services for Young Children (SfYC) training subscription scheme is open to any early years provider working with children who live in Hampshire. Applications are welcome from providers in neighbouring local authorities.
- Brighton and Hove City Council offer places to West Sussex practitioners.
- Training and support to both members and non-members are also offered by:
6 Training venues
Venues for early years and childcare training courses can be found in our termly training programme.
- Arundel Museum
- Assembly Rooms, Chichester
- Bewbush Children and Family Centre
- Billingshurst Community and Conference Centre
- Bognor Regis Nursery School Children and Family Centre
- Boxgrove Village Hall
- Broadbridge Heath Leisure Centre
- Broadfield Children and Family Centre
- Broadfield Youth and Community Centre
- Centenary House - Worthing
- Charmandean Centre, Worthing
- Chichester College - Brinsbury campus
- Chichester College - Chichester campus
- Chichester High School
- Chichester Children and Family Centre
- County Hall - Chichester
- County Hall North - Horsham (Parkside)
- Crawley Library
- Crawley United Reformed Church
- Durrington Children and Family Centre
- East Grinstead Children and Family Centre
- East Preston Children and Family Centre
- Felpham Children and Family Centre
- Field Place - Worthing
- Heene Community Centre
- Haskins Garden Centre (Roundstone), Angmering
- Horsham Children and Family Centre
- Horsham Fire Station
- K2 Leisure Centre
- Kingston Buci Children and Family Centre
- Littlehampton Children and Family Centre
- Look and Sea Centre, Littlehampton
- Maidenbower Children and Family Centre
- Maybridge Children and Family Centre
- Petworth Children and Family Centre
- Pulborough Children and Family Centre
- Roffey Children and Family Centre
- Roffey Millennium Hall, Horsham
- Rousillion Park Community Hall, Chichester
- Sidney West Children and Family Centre
- Southwater Children and Family Centre
- Southwick Community Centre
- The Aldingbourne Trust - Chichester
- The Capitol, Horsham
- The Charis Centre
- The Forest School, Horsham
- The Gattons Children and Family Centre
- The Kings Centre, East Grinstead
- The Needles Children and Family Centre
- The Villages Children and Family Centre
- The Wave Children and Family Centre
- Treehouse Children and Family Centre
- Worthing Leisure Centre (Shaftsbury Avenue)