1 What is the checking service?
The Nationality Checking Service is an optional service if you are applying for British citizenship.
We check that you have completed your citizenship application correctly, ensure you have enclosed the correct fee, provide certified copies of your original documents, so that you can keep the originals, and send your application by secure post to UK Visas and Immigration.
We cannot check applications for EEA (European Economic Area) Permanent Residence Cards - for details see the GOV.UK website.
The joint nationality and passport application checking service will allow you to apply for your UK passport at the same time as your nationality checking appointment. If your citizenship application is successful and you attend a ceremony, your new passport will be sent to your home.
2 Before you make an appointment
Make sure you have:
- completed the application for naturalisation as a British citizen form (each applicant must complete a separate UK Visas and Immigration application form)
- gathered all the relevant supporting documents (detailed in the relevant application form)
- a valid credit or debit card, as a non-refundable payment will be taken in order to confirm your appointment.
3 Joint nationality and passport application checking service
The joint nationality and passport application checking service is only available in Crawley.
If you choose this service please follow the steps below when filling out your passport application:
- Complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You don't need to complete section 10 or have your 2 photographs certified as details of referees will be collected as part of the citizenship application.
- The photographs you submit with both applications must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards in the application guidance. The applicant’s name should be written on the back of the photographs.
- Section 1 - if you are within 6 months of your 16th birthday at the time of application you must attend the appointment in person.
- Section 2 - do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form - enter it in section 8 instead.
- Section 4 - grandparents’ details are not required.
- You must complete the payment mandate on Page 25 of the application guidance. Ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the appropriate box.
- Only paper forms available from the Post Office should be used - do not use downloaded application forms.
This service costs an additional £15 and does not include the passport fee.
4 Where to go
The Nationality Checking Service can only be completed at the following registration offices:
Alternatively, you may book your appointment at any other local authority in England that offers a checking service for UK nationality applications.
5 Book an appointmentBook your appointment online (external link)
Please note that the online booking system cannot be used on a mobile or tablet.
Alternatively you can book an appointment by phoning: 01243 642122.
This is a checking service only and we do not provide general immigration advice. Details on how to complete the form can be found on the Home Office's UK Visas and Immigration website.
Each applicant is charged a fee of £85.00, irrespective of whether they are an adult or a child. This does not include the UK Visas and Immigration fee.
We also offer a joint nationality and passport application checking service.
Please ring our office on 01243 642122 and we will take your additional payment for this service. You need to do this before attending your appointment.