Marriages and civil partnerships at religious venues

How to arrange a ceremony at a religious venue.

You are able to marry at a place of religious worship as follows:

  • in the district where one of you lives, or
  • outside the district in which you live, but which one of you uses as your usual place of worship.

Church of England and Wales

You will need to contact the church directly. In most cases they will take care of everything for you.

Places of religious worship registered for marriage

Check with the church that they have someone who is authorised to register the ceremony. If there is no authorised person at the church we can arrange a registrar to attend and register the marriage for you.

In both instances you will need to book an appointment to give notice once you have provisionally booked your ceremony.

If you are marrying outside the district in which you live, in a church or registered building that is not your usual place of worship, you may need to set up residency in that area. Phone the Ceremonies Team to discuss: 01243 642122.

Same sex marriage or civil partnership in religious venues

Places of religious worship have to register separately to enable them to perform same-sex marriage or civil partnerships. You will need to check with the place of worship that they are able to perform the ceremony.

Information regarding the difference between marriage and civil partnership is available on our ceremony types page.

Last updated:
14 February 2022
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.