Convert your civil partnership to a marriage

Details of how to arrange a conversion and costs.

1 Overview

A same sex couple who have had a civil partnership can convert to a marriage either by simply completing the necessary paperwork (standard conversion) or by also including a ceremony (extended conversion).

Standard conversion

This is a simple administrative process which involves attending an appointment, completing an application form and signing a declaration at our register office in Crawley.

Extended conversion 

This is a two-step process:

  • Step 1 - Attend an appointment at our register office in Crawley.
  • Step 2 - Sign a declaration as part of a separate personalised ceremony. This can take place at any venue licensed for civil same-sex marriage ceremonies in England or Wales.

2 Book an appointment or make an enquiry

3 Cost of the conversion

A standard conversion will cost £45.00

An extended conversion will cost £27.00 per couple, payable at the application stage, plus the cost for the registrars to attend the chosen venue.

For West Sussex venues see our ceremony fees page.

4 Documents to take to your appointment

As with all legal events, you will be asked to produce evidence of your full name, nationality, age and current address. You will also need the civil partnership certificate. 

Please note that original or certified copies of documents are required - photocopies are not acceptable.

Last updated:
15 June 2022
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.