Policy M2 of the Joint Minerals Local Plan (adopted in July 2018) requires us to undertake a review of the approach to planning for soft sand.
The review will consider the supply and demand of soft sand during the plan period to 2033 and how a steady and adequate supply will be maintained, including the potential need for site allocations.
The timetable for preparation of the review is set out in the Minerals and Waste Development Scheme.
Issues and options (Regulation 18) consultation
We are now consulting on for an 8-week period until 18 March 2019 and have produced the following documents for you to comment on:
- Single Issue Soft Sand Review - consultation document (PDF, 5.2MB)
- Local Aggregate Assessment (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Soft Sand Sites Selection Report (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Sustainability Appraisal (document to follow)
You can respond to the consultation in one of the following ways:
- online – our preferred method
- print, complete and return the response form below to: Planning Services (ref SSR), West Sussex County Council, County Hall, Chichester, PO19 1RH
- email your comments to email@example.com – please make it clear which questions you're answering and provide the details required for Part A in the form.
The consultation documents can be viewed at all West Sussex libraries and at the reception areas of the buildings listed below:
- West Sussex County Council, County Hall, West Street, Chichester, PO19 1RQ
- South Downs National Park, South Downs Centre, North Street, Midhurst, GU29 9DH
- Adur & Worthing Councils, The Shoreham Centre, Pond Road, Shoreham-by-Sea, BN43 5WU
- Adur & Worthing Councils, Portland House, 44 Richmond Road, Worthing, BN11 1HS
- Arun District Council, Planning Department, Arun Civic Centre, Maltravers Road, Littlehampton, BN17 5LF
- Chichester District Council, East Pallant House, 1 East Pallant, Chichester, PO19 1TY
- Crawley Borough Council, Town Hall, The Boulevard, Crawley, RH10 1UZ
- Horsham District Council and West Sussex County Council, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham, RH12 1RL
- Mid Sussex District Council, Oaklands, Oaklands Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1SS.
During the preparation of the Minerals Local Plan, we undertook a number of evidence-based assessments, including technical assessments on site. This evidence is considered to still be relevant so it will be reviewed and further work undertaken, where required. This will follow the issues and options consultation and be before the proposed submission stage of the review.
Call for soft sand sites
A call for soft sand sites was undertaken during August and September 2018 as part of the single issue soft sand review. The allocation of sites, if necessary, is important as it provides communities and the minerals industry with certainty about where mineral development can take place.
Any new sites promoted, as well as those soft sand sites previously considered during the preparation of the Joint Minerals Local Plan, are now being assessed for their suitability for potential allocation through the Single Issue Review.
It is expected that we will undertake a Regulation 18 consultation in January 2019.