West Sussex Pension Fund is run by West Sussex County Council (the "administering authority" in the Local Government Pension Scheme Regulations).
The objective of investment is to deliver long-term returns which are greater than the growth in liabilities.
The County Council has set up a Pensions Panel who make decisions and take responsibility for management of the fund, acting in the interests of all employers, members and their dependants.
The Pension Fund invests in equities and bonds, property and private equity. Its overall investment strategy is set out in the Investment Strategy Statement (ISS), including the consideration of the effects of social, environmental and ethical issues of the performance of a company and company engagement.
Details of the fund’s investments and performance is published in the Annual Report and Accounts, which are published following the completion of the statutory audit in the autumn.
Pension Advisory Board
In addition to the Pensions Panel, the pension scheme is required to have in place a local Pension Advisory Board. The board will assist the fund in complying with all the legislative requirements, making sure the scheme is being effectively and efficiently governed and managed.
- LGPS Administering Authority Discretions Regulations (PDF, 176KB) - summarises the discretionary powers which employers can exercise in relation to the LGPS.
- Actuarial Valuation 2016 (PDF, 532KB) - details about the methods and assumptions used to evaluate the fund, the valuation results and the employers' contribution rates and adjustments, which are set for the following 3 years.
- Annual Report 2017/18 (PDF, 1.7MB) - details how the fund has performed over the short, medium and long-term.
- Breaches Policy (PDF, 108KB) - sets out the procedure for the West Sussex LGPS and relates to all of the fund's areas of operation.
- Business Plan 2017 (PDF, 100KB) - reviews the fund’s annual objectives and sets out its future direction.
- Communication Policy Statement (PDF, 167KB) - sets out how the fund will communicate with members and their representatives, prospective members and employing authorities.
- Employer Guide - West Sussex LGPS (PDF, 754KB) - for employers who wish their contractors to participate in the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) or who wish to participate themselves.
- Funding Strategy Statement (PDF, 284KB) - sets out how the fund will balance conflicting objectives.
- Governance Policy and Compliance Statement (PDF, 96KB) - details the fund’s governance and stewardship arrangements and reports the extent of compliance against a set of statutory best practice governance principles.
- Investment Strategy Statement (PDF, 45KB) - outlines how investment decisions are made, the types of investment held, fees paid, risk and corporate governance.
- LGPS Privacy Notice (PDF, 44KB) - details how we use the information we hold about you.