Being a member of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) offers you:
- a low cost and tax-efficient way to save for your retirement
- contributions from your employer
- the option to pay additional contributions to increase your pension
- the option to pay reduced contributions during periods of financial hardship
- the option to transfer in any previous pension rights (including any previous LGPS service) you may have
- a secure pension when you retire, with the potential for a tax-free lump sum
- the option to retire earlier than your normal pension age
- life cover that pays a lump sum should you die whilst an active member
- survivor benefits for your spouse, civil partner, eligible cohabiting partner and eligible children.
You can also keep track of your pension and find out how much you might get when you retire by viewing your pension account.