It doesn’t matter how far away your retirement is, you should always be thinking about the kind of life you’d like once you stop working and how much money you’ll need to cover it.
The Firefighters’ Pension Scheme 2015 (FPS 2015) is a valuable benefit for all firefighters working for West Sussex Fire & Rescue Authority. Please note that if you work for the authority but you are not a firefighter you will be eligible to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
The FPS 2015 is a career average revalued earnings (CARE) scheme that remains open to new recruits starting their career in the Fire Service. Unlike the final salary schemes that remain open to certain current firefighters and which links the build-up of pension to the earnings members receive in their final year of membership, the pension you get in the FPS 2015 is based on your annual salary for each year that you are a member of the scheme.
What the scheme offers
Being a member of the FPS 2015 offers you:
- a low-cost and tax-efficient way to save for your retirement
- contributions from your employer
- the option to pay additional contributions towards your pension
- a secure inflation-proofed pension when you retire, with the potential for a tax-free lump sum
- life cover that pays a lump sum should you die while an active member and income protection for your dependants
- the option to retire earlier than the normal pension age if:
- you have to retire on the grounds of permanent disablement
- you choose to take early retirement or partial retirement
- you are given employer-initiated early retirement.