Under the Data Protection Act you are entitled to access personal information held by social care services about you. This is known as your 'right of subject access'.
We are happy to supply copies of documents to you, subject to certain exemptions. We treat all requests in confidence. If your files contain information about other people, or from other people or organisations, we may write to them to ask for their consent to share this information with you.
Please see the Information Commissioner's Office website for more information about accessing and protecting information held about you.
How to apply
To access your records, please download and complete the PDF attached below and post it to the address on the form.Access to Records application form (PDF, 133KB)
Please bear in mind that you must:
- let us know if you are under 18
- let us know if you want us to send any correspondence to a different address for privacy reasons
- supply evidence of a person's consent - such as Lasting Power of Attorney - if you are making an application on someone else’s behalf.
In accordance with the Data Protection Act, please include with the application form:
- a cheque or postal order for £10.00
- proof of address in the form of a utility bill
- a photo ID such as a passport or driving licence (do not send original documents).
Once we have received your completed application form we will acknowledge receipt in writing and aim to process your application within 40 calendar days.
The Care Leavers' Association
The Care Leavers' Association (CLA) is a user-led charity, run by care leavers, for care leavers. It awards the CLEARmark quality mark to local authorities who provide a good standard of service for care leavers seeking access to their care files.
West Sussex County Council is one of a limited number of local authorities to be awarded this prestigious accreditation.