A Joint Scrutiny Steering Group oversees the joint scrutiny arrangements, and is made up of the scrutiny committee chairmen of the participating councils. Further information on these arrangements is set out in the Joint Scrutiny updates.
Housing Provision for Care Leavers
A Task and Finish Group (TFG) was established by the Joint Scrutiny Steering Group to review the housing provision for young people leaving local authority care.
The focus for the group was to ensure that accommodation needs and associated support in the community for young people leaving care are identified and that appropriate procedures were put in place to deliver this.
A key element of the work of the group was to consider the best way to ensure all agencies involved work in partnership to meet the needs of these vulnerable young people.
- Housing Provision for Care Leavers – Final Report (PDF, 325KB)
- Housing provision for care leavers - response to recommendations (PDF, 15KB)
Community Legal Advice Services Contract Task and Finish Group
A Task and Finish Group (TFG) was established by the Joint Scrutiny Steering Group at its meeting on 15 March 2012. The purpose of the group was to review the performance and outcomes of the current arrangements for generalist legal advice.
The TFG opted to continue with their collective funding support to the Citizen’s Advice Bureau for generalist legal services. Recognising the necessity of operating such a service at a time when many people were struggling to claim appropriate welfare benefits, and ability to meet their financial commitments if in low paid work, it was felt vital to continue funding support.
The TFG reconvened in 2014 to review the action taken following the initial review and the performance of the service, including a survey of users. The reconvened TFG also considered how the service should be provided beyond April 2015 when the contract with the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) expired. The TFG recommended that the contract with the CAB was renewed for a further three years.
The TFG reported in December 2014 and the report is available below.
- Community Advice Services Contract TFG Final Report 2014 (PDF, 83KB)
- Community Legal Advice Services Contract TFG Report 2012 (PDF, 39KB)
Flooding Task and Finish Group
A Task and Finish Group (TFG) comprising members from all eight authorities in West Sussex has been set up to review the multi-agency responsibilities, roles, involvement in, and management of, major flooding incidents across West Sussex during, after and between flood events.
The TFG met in public on:
- 21 October 2013
- 29 November 2013
- Flooding TFG Final Report 23 December 2013 (PDF, 34KB)
- Reconvened Flooding TFG Report 20 November 2015 (PDF, 25KB)
Joint Scrutiny updates
3 Steering Group members
- Mrs Clare Apel, Chichester District Council
- Mr Stephen Chipp, Adur District Council
- Mr Hugh Coster, Arun District Council
- Ms Tahira Rana, Crawley Borough Council
- Mr Leonard Crosbie, Horsham District Council
- Linda Stockwell, Mid Sussex District Council
- Mr Roy Barraclough, Worthing Borough Council
- Mr Andrew Barrett-Miles, West Sussex County Council
- Mr Paul High, West Sussex County Council
- Mr Pieter Montyn, West Sussex County Council
- Mr Bryan Turner, West Sussex County Council
4 Contact details
The Joint Scrutiny Steering Group is supported by the West Sussex Scrutiny Officer Network, made up of the scrutiny support staff from all the district, borough and county councils.
The lead officers' contact details for the Network are shown below:
5 Past committee
A Joint Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee was set up to scrutinise the proposals of NHS West Sussex (formerly known as West Sussex Primary Care Trust, or PCT) and NHS Brighton & Hove (formerly known as Brighton & Hove PCT) to change local acute (such as hospital) services.
The Committee held its final meeting on 2 December 2009. All the proposals for major service change had been withdrawn and the Committee was therefore dissolved.
Agendas and minutes - 2009
2 December 2009