1 What the Board does
The role of the Board is to help West Sussex County Council (WSCC), as West Sussex Pension Fund Scheme manager, ensure that the scheme complies with legislative requirements and any requirements of the Pensions Regulator. This includes the Code of Practice on the governance and administration of public service pension schemes issued by the Pensions Regulator.
The Pension Advisory Board is accountable to the Pensions Regulator, National Scheme Advisory Board (NSAB) and Scheme Manager. The NSAB will advise the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) and WSCC.
The Pensions Regulator will report to the MHCLG, but will also be a point of escalation for whistle-blowing or similar issues (supplementary to WSCC's own whistle blowing policy and anti-fraud and corruption policy).
The principal functions of the Pension Advisory Board include:
- seeking assurance that due process is followed with regard to Pensions Panel decisions
- considering the integrity and soundness of Pensions Panel decision-making processes
- seeking assurance that administration performance is in compliance with the Administration Strategy
- considering the effectiveness of communication with employers and members, including the Communication Strategy
- considering and commenting on internal audit recommendations
- consideration of external auditor reports.
Any complaint or allegation of breach of due process brought to the attention of the Pension Advisory Board shall be dealt with in accordance with the Code of Practice as published by the Pensions Regulator.
- Administration Strategy (PDF, 324KB)
- Communication Strategy (PDF, 167KB)
- Terms of reference (PDF, 113KB)
2 Agendas, minutes and reports
20 April 2018
29 November 2017
5 July 2017
2 March 2017
6 December 2016
21 September 2016
25 May 2016
16 March 2016
11 November 2015
8 July 2015
3 Meeting dates and locations
- 1 March 2018 - meeting cancelled due to anticipated severe weather conditions.
- 20 April 2018
- 4 July 2018
- 21 November 2018
- 6 March 2019
Start time - 9.30am (unless otherwise stated)
Location - County Hall, Chichester
4 Board members
Independent Chairman (does not vote)
Peter Scales (Senior Adviser, MJ Hudson Allenbridge Investment Advisers; Chief Executive of the London Pensions Fund Authority, 1990-2006, and currently an independent adviser on governance to Local Government Pension Scheme and corporate pension funds)
- Richard Cohen (Governor, Worthing High School)
- Kim Martin (Chichester City Council)
Scheme member representatives
- Tim Stretton (active member currently working at West Sussex County Council)
- Christopher Scanes (pensioner member)
5 Contact details