Last updated:
1 December 2017

Concern or complaint about a childcare provider

What to do if you have a concern or complaint about a childcare provider.

If you have a concern or complaint about a childcare provider that you cannot resolve with them directly, contact the organisations below depending on the nature of the query.

Complaints about standards of education, care or safety

Childcare providers in England are regulated and inspected by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted). Contact them directly to raise a complaint or discuss a concern. You can ask to remain anonymous when you contact them.

If you cannot contact Ofsted yourself, you can ask us to do this on your behalf.

If you think a child is in immediate danger call the police on 999.

Complaints about invoicing, charges or billing

Billing disputes are private contractual matters between yourself and the provider. Free consumer advice is available from Citizen’s Advice.

If your child receives free entitlement funding through the provider, and the dispute directly relates to charges applied during your child’s free hours, read our frequently asked questions before asking us for help.

Complaints about data protection

If you have a concern about the way a provider is handling your personal information, get advice from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).


Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating to indicate how useful you found this page. If you have more specific feedback use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.