Royal Sussex Regiment
The Regiment has a long and proud history from its origins as
the 35th Regiment of Foot in 1701 to its incorporation into the
Queen’s Regiment in 1966.
For a brief history, download a copy of
The Royal Sussex Regiment 1701-1966, attached below.
What do we hold?
The archives deposited in West Sussex Record Office since 1979
consist of documents, photographs, audio-visual records and printed
works. These are derived from both official and private sources
covering the history of the Regiment from its establishment in 1701
as the 35th Regiment of Foot to its amalgamation in The Queen's
Regiment in 1966.
To date the collection comprises some 200 boxes of documents,
40,000 photographs, 1,250 printed books and 50 films.
Of particular interest are:
- Lieutenant John Hildebrand's detailed recollections of the
- the illustrated diary of Captain Lionel Trafford of the
ill-fated expedition to relieve General Gordon at Khartoum in
- 600 photographs taken in South Africa by 2nd Lieutenant Rowland
Paget during the Boer War.
The collection is particularly rich for the First World War and
- official series of nominal rolls;
- casualty lists;
- unit war diaries;
- battalion orders; and
- diaries and service papers of officers and other ranks.
Find out more
Researchers are welcome to visit the Record Office to consult
the archives. If you can, investigate what material is available
before you visit:
- Search Online:
to browse and search our catalogues – just type in ‘RSR’ and select
‘Collection’ from the drop-down menu to get started.
- Printed catalogue: see below for details of the catalogue
produced by Alan Readman in 1985.
service is available for those unable to visit the Record
For a list of sources to help you trace a soldier who served in
the Regiment, visit the Leaflets, forms and
other documents page.
Where else can I look for information?
- EAC Fazan ‘A Short History of “The Cinque Ports” 5th (Cinque
Ports) Battalion the Royal Sussex Regiment’ (1913)
- Murray Gillings ‘The Shiny Ninth: 9th Battalion The Royal
Sussex Regiment 1940-1946’ (The Pinwe Club, 1986)
- Major BT Hodgson ‘Record of the Second Volunteer Battalion
Royal Sussex Regiment from 1859 to 1903’ (London: J J Keliher &
Co Ltd, 1903)
- Major BT Hodgson ‘Record of the Fourth Battalion Royal Sussex
Regiment from 1859 to 1913’ (1914)
- G D Martineau 'A History of The Royal Sussex Regiment,
1701-1953' (Royal Sussex Regimental Association, 1955)
- AE Readman ‘The Royal Sussex Regiment. A Catalogue of Records’
- Owen Rutter ‘History of the Seventh (Service) Battalion, Royal
Sussex Regiment, 1914-1919’ (Naval and Military Press, 2003)
page (third party services may set cookies)