The Goodwood Archives are the papers of
the Dukes of Richmond and Gordon and their estate, centred on
Goodwood near Chichester.
The first Duke, the natural son of King Charles II by Louise de
Keroualle, Duchess of Portsmouth, purchased a hunting lodge at
Goodwood in 1695, and by the time of the third Duke the estate had
grown to some 17,000 acres in Boxgrove, Westhampnett, East Dean,
Singleton, Tangmere, Lavant and West Itchenor.
Today the estate has a world-famous racecourse, the newly
re-opened motor racing circuit and the home of the annual festival
of speed, and was until recently the venue for international
dressage. The estate archives are chiefly notable for the fine late
18th century estate surveys by Thomas Yeakell and William
The family holds four Dukedoms - Richmond, Lennox, Gordon and
Aubigny - and the surviving archives reflect this. They include the
correspondence of the five Dukes of Gordon and an extensive archive
of the Aubigny estates.
The correspondence collections are especially rich for
the second Duke, 1701-1750, Master of the Horse, literary and
artistic patron and Newcastle's agent in the county, the fifth
Duke, 1791-1860, member of Grey's reforming ministry and later a
leader of the protectionist party, and the sixth Duke,
1818-1892, leader of the Conservative party in the House of Lords
and first Secretary for Scotland. A fine series of accounts with
local and London trades survive for the first three dukes.
The collection is accessible in the Record Office during normal
office hours. No post-1902 documents may be consulted without
permission of the Trustees of the Goodwood Collections, which
should be requested in writing through the Record Office.
A catalogue of the collection has been published in three
volumes (see our eshop (temporariliy unavailable) for
An online catalogue of the Goodwood Archives is now available
via our Search Online
page (third party services may set cookies)