Treatment foster care
What is treatment foster care?
Treatment foster care is specialist
foster care for children with complex emotional and behavioural
difficulties who are 3-6 years of age. These children need
structured and highly nurturing families in which to grow and
Also known as Leapfrog, our therapeutic team provides foster
carers with a high level of training and support, including on-call
The programme aims to improve children’s functioning across all
areas of development. It places a particular emphasis on
supporting the development of emotional and behavioural regulation
and empathy - core components for success at school and in
The Leapfrog team is multi-disciplinary. It includes:
- a systemic family therapist
- a family placement social worker
- a family therapist
- an early years teacher
- two skills coaches.
Our team is committed to help shape positive behavioural
change in young children as soon as possible, in the hope
that we can prevent long-term difficulties.
We use a team approach to address risk factors and improve
outcomes for children. We do this through our work with foster
carers, adopters and with birth families.
We also work in community settings, including a weekly
Key characteristics of the programme
The key characteristics of the programme are:
- a proactive 'whole team' approach to reducing problem
- creating and maintaining a consistently reinforcing and highly
nurturing environment for the child in their home, school, and
- separate and distinctive staff roles
- intensive Leapfrog foster placement - on average nine
- 24-hour support
- it requires two-carer households
- a weekly foster carer support group
- it is ideal for carers whose own children are older.
Aims of Leapfrog
The intensive training and support provided to foster carers and
the young children in their care offers a vital and unique
This helps to make sure the child's placement will be successful
in future permanent families.
Leapfrog helps children to:
- form meaningful relationships with adults and peers
- handle their emotions
- improve learning - both at home and at school.
Contact the team
||Phone: 01903 839777
||Fax: 01903 209050
||Address: Leapfrog team
Back to top
page (third party services may set cookies)