A to Z search:

Complaints about schools

There may be times when you are not happy with something that has happened at your child's school.

You should always discuss your concerns with staff at the school, as it is important that you give them the opportunity to resolve your concerns informally. Most complaints are resolved at the informal stage. However, if your concerns are not resolved you may wish to make a formal complaint.

schoolgirl in playground

Under the Education Act 2002 every school must publish its procedure for general complaints. If you have not already acquired a copy you should ask the school to let you see one. There are also procedures for complaints on appeals, about the curriculum, special educational needs provision, exclusions and admissions. Staff disciplinary action, child protection issues and criminal investigations are confidential.

You can also find information about making a complaint on GOV.UK.

I do not think my complaint has been dealt with fairly, what can I do?

If you believe your complaint has not been dealt with fairly, in accordance with the school's policy, you must inform your school's governing body. The governors will then investigate the issue for you.

If I am still not happy, what should I do?

If you are still not happy after going through the school's complaints process, there is provision to complain to the Secretary of State for Education. You should write to:

Secretary of State for Education
Sanctuary Buildings
Great Smith Street
London SW1P 3BT

Can I appeal?

There is no opportunity to appeal against a decision. The school's complaints process has to be followed and if the resolution is not satisfactory you should write to the Secretary of State.

© Copyright 2015 West Sussex County Council, County Hall, Chichester PO19 1RQ.

  • Bengali
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Urdu
  • Pashto
  • Gujarati

Privacy policy | Disclaimer | Site map
Site implementation by Unified Solutions Logo Unified Solutions Ltd